Interior design doesn’t exist in a vacuum. That’s why, when it comes to great design, balancing form and function is at the core of creating spaces that work for the people who inhabit them. After all, what is design all about?
Spaces. They influence every part of our lives – our health, wealth and happiness. Each week on the Spaces podcast, Sam Buckby shares the insights of leading building and design experts to help make our buildings smarter and create healthier and happier spaces.
If you’re a fan of watching the TV reality show The Block, you might recognise the name Shannon Vos. Shannon and his brother won the 2014 series. Since then, he’s gone on to pursue his passion for interior design, now with his own very successful firm, Vos Creative. You might have also read his column in Inside Out magazine.
In this very entertaining episode, Shannon shares what he’s learned from his time on The Block, his thoughts and tips on design that so impressed the judges, and how he now approaches his work with clients to create spaces that they love.
Here’s some of what we get into:
- – Tales from behind the scenes of The Block (and what it takes to win)
- – His evolution from tradie to star interior designer
- – What he learned about design from The Block
- – The importance of spatial design in his approach
- – How to tick all the design boxes for the perfect space
- – Why people (i.e. function) are at the core of great design
- – And why people are often the hardest thing about designing
- – How to approach interior design like a pro
- – How to work with an interior designer effectively
- – Thoughts on good lighting, technology, and creating spaces of joy
Show notes & podcast production provided by Amplify