For anyone renovating or building a new home, what we want, what we need and our budget can often be competing forces. This can make the design process unnecessarily difficult and the outcome less than ideal. However, by approaching the design process the right way, you can get both what you want and need in a home without the stress.
Spaces. They influence every part of our lives – our health, wealth and happiness. Each week on the Spaces podcast, Sam Buckby shares the insights of leading building and design experts to help make our buildings smarter and create healthier and happier spaces.
On this episode we welcome award-winning, Canberra-based building designer, Adam Hobill. Adam is also ACT chapter chairperson of the Building Designers’ Association of Australia and author of the book Nail It: Take Control of Your Building Project and Save Money, so you know he’s coming from a place of real experience.
Over some 20 years in the business, Adam has built an excellent reputation for helping his clients understand and balance these competing forces in the design process and getting the best possible outcome.
Here are some of the thoughts, advice and tips Adam shares with us:
- -The difference between building designers and architects
- -Getting yourself ready for one of the biggest projects of your life
- -Balancing what you need and what you want in a home
- -Thoughts on climate responsive design
- -Why designers have a responsibility to design homes that don’t just look good
- -How to be savvy with your space
- -Why the kitchen has become the heart of the house
- -The importance of family connection in designing spaces
- -What you need to turn an amazing design into an amazing project
- -How to be a good client (i.e. good clients get looked after)
- -Working with budget considerations and constraints
- -Sam’s tips on how to approach the building design process right
Adam’s website: AdamHobillDesign.com.au
Show notes & podcast production provided by Amplify