Thinking of renovating? Just because you saw it on The Block doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. Experienced renovators will tell you it’s inevitably more expensive and more stressful than you think. However some expert advice at the start will save you a lot of time, money and heartache.
Spaces. They influence every part of our lives – our health, wealth and happiness. Each week on the Spaces podcast, Sam Buckby shares the insights of leading building and design experts to help make our buildings smarter and create healthier and happier spaces.
This, our first ‘renovation special’ episode, is a bit different from others in the series. Rather than an expert in the field, we welcome Emma Samia, who, together with her husband and two small kids, is ready to take on the renovation challenge on the site of their existing home in Sydney’s west.
But are they ready for it? We find out, and we help out, with some timely tips for getting started right. This is a particularly useful episode if you’re playing along at home.
Here’s what we build on in this episode:
- – Thinking about your renovation process
- – Why you need to be aware, not afraid
- – How to work out what’s important to your family
- – Understanding how your home will be used
- – Why mistakes can be brutal lessons
- – Factorising your budget on your values, and spending it in the right places
- – Re-thinking the do-it-yourself mindset (is the stress worth it?)
- – Embracing the challenge of self-management
- – Getting the hub of the home (the kitchen) right
- – And why your choice of range hood is so important
Show notes & podcast production provided by Amplify