Spaces. They influence every part of our lives – our health, wealth and happiness. Each week on the Spaces podcast, Sam Buckby shares the insights of the leading building and design experts to help make our buildings smarter and create healthier and happier spaces.
On this episode, we welcome Rebecca Hall, Founder and Director of Ninedots. Ninedots are build advisors who help home buyers and investors navigate the new build process. Rebecca is passionate about her individual client’s best interests and finding their best fit.
During this chat, we discuss 7 common mistakes people make when building a new home.
Number One – Poor Planning
- – Rebecca encourages her clients to create a wish list of what they need vs what they want.
- – How Rebecca helps clients refine their wish list.
- – Rebecca’s opinions on display homes and their place when looking at customising your home.
- – Virtual display homes – a trend taking off in Australia.
Number Two – Choosing the Wrong Contractors
- – Communication between all the contractors involved in building a home.
- – Rebecca’s tips on choosing the right contractor for your home build.
Number 3 – Lack of Knowledge
- – The additional and unexpected costs involved in building a new home.
- – Rebecca shares that site costs, developer guidelines and other location-specific costs should be considered in your build budget.
- – Why the time needed to build a home varies depending on location and builders
Number Four – Poor builder selection
- – Builder selection and Rebecca’s tips on communicating with your builder.
- – Building deadlines and Rebecca’s advice to get all timeframe promises in writing.
- – Builder relationships and how Ninedots helps their clients navigate this area.
Number Five – Lack of planning and future-proofing
- – Rebecca has seen many people overlook the future needs of their homes.
- – Considering plumbing, wiring or access points for future plans (like pools or aircon) will reduce future building costs.
Number Six – Not considering the alignment of a home on the block
- – Rebecca helps her clients consider where their home will physically sit on their land.
Number Seven – Not engaging a building inspector
- – The difference between building surveyors and inspectors.
- – The risks of overlooking an inspector and the advantages of engaging one.
- – Rebecca’s ‘Lost In Space’ question shootout.
Enjoy this week’s Spaces episode with Rebecca Hall
Listen to the last Spaces Podcast here